Last updated: March 11, 2020
We want you to understand how and why Soapbox Ninja, Inc. (“Soapbox Ninja,” “we” or “us”) collects, uses, and shares information about you when you use our sites, mobile apps, widgets, and other online products and services (collectively, the “Services”) or when you otherwise interact with us or receive a communication from us.
What We Collect (and How it is Used and Shared)
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information you provide to us directly when you use the Services. This includes:
If you create a Soapbox Ninja account, we may require you to provide a username, password and e mail. Your username is public, and it doesn’t have to be related to your real name. You may also provide other account information, like cover picture, profile picture and bio. We also store your user account preferences and settings.
Content you submit
We collect the content you submit to the Services. This includes your posts, topics, comments, your messages with other users and your reports and other communications with moderators and with us. Your content may include text, links, images, gifs, and videos.
You may choose to provide other information directly to us. For example, we may collect information when you fill out a form, apply for a job, request customer support, or otherwise communicate with us.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you access or use our Services, we may also automatically collect information about you. This includes:
Log and usage data
We may log information when you access and use the Services. This may include your IP address, user-agent string, browser type, operating system, referral URLs, device information (e.g., device IDs), device settings, pages visited, links clicked, the requested URL, and search terms. Except for the IP address used to create your account, Soapbox Ninja will delete any IP addresses collected after 100 days.
Information collected from cookies and similar technologies
We may receive location information from you when you choose to share such information on our Services, including by associating your content with a location, or we may derive your approximate location from other information about you, including your IP address.
Information Collected by Third Parties
We partner with third-party programmatic ad exchanges to show advertisements relevant to your interests. In providing those ads, those third parties collect information, including log and usage data and information from cookies as described above. These third parties do not receive any information from your Soapbox Ninja account.
We use information about you to:
• Provide, maintain, and improve the Services;
• Research and develop new services;
• Help protect the safety of Soapbox Ninja and our users, which includes blocking suspected spammers, addressing abuse, and enforcing the Soapbox Ninja User Agreement and our other policies;
• Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts, invoices, and other support and administrative messages;
• Provide customer service;
• Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, and events, and provide other news and information we think will be of interest to you.
• Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities in connection with our Services;
• Measure the effectiveness of ads shown on our Services; and
• Personalize the Services, and provide and optimize advertisements, content, and features that match user profiles or interests.
Much of the information on the Services is public and accessible to everyone, even without an account. By using the Services, you are directing us to share this information publicly and freely.
When you submit content (including a post, topic, comment or chat message to a public part of the Services, any visitors to and users of our Services will be able to see that content, the username associated with the content, and the date and time you originally submitted the content. Soapbox Ninja allows other sites to embed public Soapbox Ninja content via our embed tools. Soapbox Ninja also allows third parties to access public Soapbox NInja content via the Soapbox Ninja API and other similar technologies. Although some parts of the Services may be private or quarantined, they may become public and you should take that into consideration before posting to the Services.
Your Soapbox Ninja account has a profile page that is public. Your profile contains information about your activities on the Services, such as your username, prior started topics and comments, points, rank and how long you have been a member of the Services.
We offer social sharing features that let you share content or actions you take on our Services with other media. Your use of these features enables the sharing of certain information with your friends or the public, depending on the settings you establish with the third party that provides the social sharing feature. For more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and processing in connection with social sharing features, please visit the privacy policies of the third parties that provide these social sharing features (e.g., Reddit, Facebook, Twitter).
Soapbox Ninja only shares nonpublic information about you in the following ways. We do not sell this information.
• With your consent. We may share information about you with your consent or at your direction.
• With our service providers. We may share information with vendors, consultants, and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work for us. Their use of personal data will be subject to appropriate confidentiality and security measures. A few examples: (i) cloud providers who host our data and our services, (ii) third-party ads measurement providers who help us and advertisers measure the performance of ads shown on our Services.
• To comply with the law. We may share information in response to a request for information if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, or required by, any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or governmental request, including, but not limited to, meeting national security or law enforcement requirements. To the extent the law allows it, we will attempt to provide you with prior notice before disclosing your information in response to such a request.
• In an emergency. We may share information if we believe it’s necessary to prevent imminent and serious bodily harm to a person.
• To enforce our policies and rights. We may share information if we believe your actions are inconsistent with our User Agreement, rules, or other Soapbox Ninja policies, or to protect the rights, property, and safety of ourselves and others.
• With our affiliates. We may share information between and among Soapbox Ninja, and any of our parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and other companies under common control and ownership.
• Aggregated or de-identified information. We may share information about you that has been aggregated or anonymized such that it cannot reasonably be used to identify you. For example, we may show the total number of times a post has been upvoted without identifying who the visitors were, or we may tell an advertiser how many people saw their ad.
How We Protect Your Information
• We take measures to help protect information about you from loss, theft, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. For example, we use HTTPS while information is being transmitted. We also enforce technical and administrative access controls to limit which of our employees have access to nonpublic personal information.
• We store the information we collect for as long as it is necessary for the purpose(s) for which we originally collected it. We may retain certain information for legitimate business purposes or as required by law.
Deleting Your Account
You may delete your account information at any time from the account settings page. You can also submit a request to delete the personal information Soapbox Ninja maintains about you by following the process on Privacy tab in account settings page. When you delete your account, your profile is no longer visible to other users and disassociated from content you posted under that account. Please note, however, that the posts,topics, comments, and messages you submitted prior to deleting your account will still be visible to others unless you first delete the specific content. We may also retain certain information about you as required by law or for legitimate business purposes after you delete your account.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject first- and third-party cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of our Services. For more information on controlling how cookies and similar technologies are used on Soapbox Ninja, see our .
Controlling Advertising and Analytics
Some analytics providers we partner with may provide specific opt-out mechanisms and we may provide, as needed and as available, additional tools and third-party services that allow you to better understand cookies and how you can opt out. For example, you may manage the use and collection of certain information by Google Analytics via the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
Do Not Track
Most modern web browsers give you the option to send a Do Not Track signal to the sites you visit, indicating that you do not wish to be tracked. However, there is no accepted standard for how a site should respond to this signal, and we do not take any action in response to this signal. Instead, in addition to publicly available third-party tools, we offer you the choices described in this policy to manage the collection and use of information about you.
Data Subject and Consumer Information Requests
All data subject and consumer requests under data protection laws should be sent via email to from the email address that you have verified with your Soapbox Ninja account. After submitting your request, it may take up to 30 days to prepare your data.
Before we process a request from you about your personal information, we need to verify the request via your access to your Soapbox Ninja account or to a verified email address associated with your Soapbox Ninja account. You may also designate an authorized agent to exercise these rights on your behalf. Soapbox Ninja does not discriminate against users for exercising their rights under data protection laws to make requests regarding their personal information.
International Data Transfers
We are based in the European Union and we process and store information on servers located in the European Union. We may store information on servers and equipment in other countries depending on a variety of factors, including the locations of our users and service providers. By accessing or using the Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the processing, transfer, and storage of information in and to the EU. and other countries, where you may not have the same rights as you do under local law.
Additional Information for EEA Users
Users in the European Economic Area have the right to request access to, rectification of, or erasure of their personal data; to data portability in certain circumstances; to request restriction of processing; to object to processing; and to withdraw consent for processing where they have previously provided consent. EEA users also have the right to lodge a complaint with their local supervisory authority.
As required by applicable law, we collect and process information about individuals in the EEA only where we have a legal basis for doing so. Our legal bases depend on the Services you use and how you use them. We process your information on the following legal bases:
• You have consented for us to do so for a specific purpose;
• We need to process the information to provide you the Services, including to operate the Services, provide customer support and personalized features and to protect the safety and security of the Services;
• It satisfies a legitimate interest (which is not overridden by your data protection interests), such as preventing fraud, ensuring network and information security, enforcing our rules and policies, protecting our legal rights and interests, research and development, personalizing the Services, and marketing and promoting the Services; or
• We need to process your information to comply with our legal obligations.
Additional Information for California Users
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) requires us to provide California residents with some additional information about the categories of personal information we collect and share, where we get that personal information, and how and why we use it.
In the last 12 months, we collected the following categories of personal information from California residents, depending on the Services used:
• Identifiers, like your Soapbox Ninja username, email address, IP address, and cookie information.
• Internet or other electronic network activity information, such as information about your activity on our Services and limited information about your activity on the services of advertisers who use our advertising technology.
• Geolocation information based on your IP address, or more specific location information if you authorize your device to provide it to us.
• Audiovisual information in pictures, audio, or video content submitted to Soapbox Ninja.
• Inferences we make based on other collected data, for purposes such as recommending content, advertising, and analytics.
You can find more information about (a) what we collect and sources of that information, (b) the business and commercial purposes for collecting that information, and (c) the categories of third parties with whom we share that information in the “What We Collect (and How it is Used and Shared)” section above.
If you are a California resident, you have additional rights under the CCPA, including the right to request access to or deletion of your personal information, and information about our data practices, as well as the right not to be discriminated against for exercising your privacy rights. These rights can be exercised as described in the Data Subject and Consumer Information Requests section above.
Children under the age of 13 are not allowed to create an account or otherwise use the Services. Additionally, if you are in the EEA, you must be over the age required by the laws of your country to create an account or otherwise use the Services, or we need to have obtained verifiable consent from your parent or legal guardian.
Changes to This Policy